Opinion in Writing Clause/Opinion Clause
The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.
- North Carolina Ratification Convention Debates
- The Federalist No. 74
- Jeremy Belknap's Notes of the Massachusetts Ratification Convention
- Thomas Lloyds Notes of the Pennsylvania Ratification Convention
- United States Constitution
The Constitution of the United States.
- James Madison's Notes of the Constitutional Convention
- Constitution of Maryland
- Constitution of South Carolina